Monday, January 25, 2010

Welcome to 2010!

I'm not the biggest fan of January in Utah. It's too cold and snowy to do anything outside, you don't see the sun for weeks at a time, and the main source of adult interaction is grocery shopping and church. I've been trying to keep myself busy with fun projects. I've decided to be a little more adventurous in my sewing, and actually make something for myself besides a headband. So here is what I've made lately:
I got a pattern for 99cents and decided to try it out. I think I like sewing without a pattern better. Maybe one day I'll learn pattern-lingo. For now, its practically gibberish and I had to call for help a few times. It turned out pretty cute though!

This one I made just copying a skirt that I already have. Much easier. No crazy pattern-talk. :)

Then I found a super-easy wallet tutorial here. I skipped quilting the outside, but used the measurements and inside directions. I also used a magnetic clip for the closure and added a super cute flower outside. (I bought an iron-on patch at Hobby Lobby for that, and used my Crop-a-dile and an eyelet to attach it.) I think it turned out way cute. Love it!

My sister-in-law was having a baby shower the day after I made my wallet, and I decided to try to be creative. So I took the basic idea from my wallet, made it bigger and turned it into a diaper wallet! I turned out pretty cute, but the pockets need some work. I think I needed to put some elastic in them (they don't hold things in very well). But even if you don't use the pockets, its a cute case for hauling diapers and wipes.

The next project was one for Josie. She's been way into princesses, dancing, and spinning lately, so I decided it was time to make her a tutu! Basic instructions--cut your tulle into strips, and loop over elastic. If you need more detail, let me know. I made this one a little big, so she can keep if for a while. I used about 4 yards of tulle (I think it costs about $1 a yard, not expensive!)
Josie helped me with the strips...
Finished tutu! She got it on and said, "Wow! Look at me!!"



Just for good measure, here's our little cheeser:


Here is our favorite video of the month. Justin and I can watch it over and over. It cracks us up. Josie got a Sit & Spin for Christmas (Thanks Andrea!) and she loves it. This is her favorite way to spin..

11 comments:

DeAnna said...

liss, I am completely impressed...what a creative rockstar you are! Cute stuff!.....and as always.....cute Josie!

Noelle said...

Look at you you little homemaker! Your crafts are awesome! I especially like your wallet!

Charee B Mcclellan said...

your skirts are darling, and even more darling on ya! i am anti patterns for sure..

Anonymous said...

Lissy your projects turned out so cute!

Stewart Family said...

Way to sew!! I love the projects you have been working on!! I wish I had the energy to do some sewing project. Love the black and red skirt.

Tassia said...

Oh Lissy! How I wish we were in Utah so we could craft with you! All of your things turned out soooo cute! I especially love your wallet. You are so creative! The video of Josie on her sit and spin is quite adorable. She is getting so BIG!!! Love and Miss You!

Mackenzie said...

I am way impressed. I think the wallet and the tutu are especially cute.

Cari said...

i too can't wait for the end of this 'utah january'! good job keeping yourself busy tho with those adorable projects!! :)

Melinda said...

You are so awesome Lissa!!!! You inspire me to try to be more creative! And you make the cutest little cheeser girls!!!! :) Love ya!!!

Jaynann said...

Gotta do something to spice up January! Hey, Jen Kangas and I were thinking it would be fun to start a craft night of some kind. We were thinking of just getting together with a few of the other ladies in the ward who like to craft and meet maybe once a month to work on stuff, learn things from each other, show off our stuff, etc. If you're interested in something like that....give me a call.

Aaron and Devon said...

Super cute stuff! I need to do more projects like that- how do you find the time?