Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Christmas time is my favorite time of the year! The last 2 years, we had a trip to Hawaii to look forward to, but even though we aren't escaping the snow this year, I'm still excited for Christmas! I think that's because my mom always made Christmas such a fun and exciting time. Even when we were older, Christmas was always magical. This year, it just wasn't feeling like it was Christmas time yet. There wasn't any snow, so it hardly even felt like winter! But I realized what it was that was missing--the candy and treats!! My mom is a wonderful cook/baker, and at Christmas, she goes nuts! We're talking cookies, fudge, almond joy, etc. etc... I think I gained 10 lbs every Christmas. But she always made 5 times more than our family needed and on Christmas Eve the family piles into a van, or the back of someone's truck and we go around the neighborhood to friends and sing carols and deliver about 20 plates of treats. This has always been one of my favorite family traditions for 2 reasons: 1. My family is a ton of fun. When we all pile in the back of a truck together, it's a hoot! 2. We get to share the treats! Several people tell us that they look forward to our family coming every year. I'm sure some of the families in California still miss it! :)

So, to really get my house feeling like Christmas time, I spent the last few days digging up my mom's recipes and making some of the treats that she makes every year. I found myself wishing I had helped more through the years so that it wasn't so much guess-work. But everything turned out great! We will be sharing the treats with the neighbors, since the recipes I have made WAY more than any 2 people should eat in a year... But we'll be skipping the carolling until we have a bigger family to sing with :)

Josie dressed up warm to go visit some neighbors.

Getting the plates ready. This is what you end up looking like when you spend all day in the house baking. :)

Mmmm.. Sugar cookies.


Treats galore! I finally started feeling like it was Christmas when my kitchen started to look a little like my mom's does at Christmas.
Merry Christmas Everyone!


6 comments:

Cari said...

yum! we always looked forward to treats from your family each Christmas Eve!! fun you are carrying on the tradition :)

Kathryn said...

YUM is right!!! I miss your treats and caroling! Come down to Sandy and carol to us.... we'd love it!!! <3
btw, Josie is adorable!! :)

Erin said...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!
You go girl.

Stewart Family said...

Very fun! I love doing all of the baking stuff. It is so fun to have family around when your doing it. I remember the caroling. Hawaii memories ;o)

Nielsen Family said...

mmm cookies...I want one....dozen.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my family goes caroling also - I'm glad my parents kept with it even though sometimes we would complain. It's a fun tradition!

Great job on the baking. I need to get a little more festive around here.