Friday, March 13, 2009

Is this for real?

I've been doing the Baby Signing Time videos with Josie, in hopes that she can start communicating with me a little earlier. Several of my nieces and nephews were using signs before they could talk and it helped a ton, so I thought I'd try it out. I really like the videos, and if nothing else, it gives me 20 minutes of me time while she watches it.
A couple of days ago, I had Josie in her chair, feeding her, and there was a bottle on the table by her. She stopped eating, looked at the bottle and did the sign for milk. A little bit in shock, I handed her the bottle. She took a drink and then we continued eating. I just sat there wondering if she knew what she was doing or if it was a fluke. Then the next day she was really fussy while I was getting her ready to eat. I put her in her chair and told her it was time to eat, and showed her the sign for eat. She calmed right down and waited for her food. It seems much to soon for her to really be understanding and even USING the signs. All I have to say is, Is this for real???

As of yesterday, Josie is officially a cruiser. She's figured out how to move along the couch when she pulls herself up. And yesterday she pulled herself up on one toy and scooted from one big toy to the next. They were all pretty close together, but still. Silly Baby...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is great!! Where do you get your signing videos?? I want to try with Abbie :D

Alissa said...

They are the official "Signing Time" videos, and you can get them on signingtime.com. But I actually got them at borders because I had a coupon..

DeAnna said...

How exciting! Be sure and video, journal, photograph like crazy....I can't believe how fast the first year goes.

Ariana said...

How fun - life gets so much easier when they can tell you what they want.

Erin said...

I've also heard super things about teaching signing to infants. I didn't do it and I wish I would have. Luke not taking yet, so maybe I still can.

Nielsen Family said...

Yeah! That is so nice. I got one of those videos from Baby Einsteins but I haven't worked with Emma much on it. Ah thats got to be so nice for her to tell you what she wants.

Stephanie Williams said...

So so cool! That is awesome that she is signing! Lorelai is 2 and I still dont understand what she wants 80% of the time. I should have done that.... maybe with the next one. So cool. She is so smart! Are you guys gonna come down for Kelley's wedding to Cali? Cause it would be so cool to see you guys.